Financial worries can be a concern for students and their families. We also recognise that your financial situation is personal and you may be concerned about discussing it with others.

If you experience financial difficulties while at LMH, there is advice and support available both from the College and the University.

All details about financial charges and procedures and forms for financial support are available at

(Logo by © Niamh Simpson)


Financial support logo by Niamh Simpson

If you find that financial concerns are impacting your mental health or ability to study then please do speak to Anne Harpin (our College Nurse), another member of the welfare team or your tutor. You will not be the first person to find these things difficult and they will be able to discuss sources of support with you and refer you, where necessary, to Cathy Henderson our Academic Finance Manager,  ( ) who can guide you through the process of making applications for financial assistance from both the University and college funds. Please do not allow such worries to become a burden, there is assistance available, and Cathy can also provide support and guidance in budgeting and planning your spending. 

For a whole host of information about fees and funding, including living costs and how to apply for government support, visit the Oxford University Fees & Funding pages. 

The Oxford University Student Union also has a page dedicated to funding advice.

The Student Advice Service further provides a confidential, independent advice and information service available to all students. The service has advisors (contact who can advise on financial matters (sources of funding, handling your budget, and practical matters such as opening a bank account). 

Financial Support from LMH

For those who need financial support at the start of their undergraduate degree, for purchase of a laptop, bicycle, books, or any start up items, there is the Coombe Fund.

Support grants are available from the College for a wide range of academic projects which directly contribute to your degree course, e.g. field courses, language courses, travel for research purposes, fine art materials. These grants are made from funds given to the College, many of which have specific purposes and/or subjects, so the awards vary for each subject. Application can be made for extension activities which are not essential to the course; these will be funded if money is available. Generally, a limit of £250 applies and your Personal Tutor will be able to tell you what specific awards are made in your subject.

An email will be sent to all students at the start of each term and must be returned by the deadline in order to be considered. Your Personal Tutor or College Advisor’s written support will be required, so please do consult them in good time. Decisions will usually be made by the Grants Committee on Wednesday of 5th week of each term. Your Tutor or College Advisor may also be able to advise you on possibilities of departmental/faculty funding.

Any queries regarding the Academic Development Fund or Financial Support Assistance should be directed to the Academic Registrar at

If you are ever in financial difficulties and want some help and advice then contact us - the College can offer help for severe and unforeseen financial problems.

Students can also apply to centrally-administered hardship funds through the University, including the Access to Learning Fund (ALF) for Home students and the University Hardship Fund (UHF) open to everyone. You can find full details on the University's website here.


University funds

Oxford Bursaries

  • If you have a direct entry place to study at Oxford University, and receive a Higher Education Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant of any level, you are eligible for an award from the Oxford Bursary Scheme.
  • Applicants must complete a financial assessment in their application for UK Government Funding and consent to share their household income with the University.
  • You do not have to make a separate application for an Oxford Bursary, and eligible students will receive a letter from the Student Funding Office explaining their entitlement.
  • Students receive between £200 and £4500 each year of their course depending on when they started their course and their household income.
  • If you are a student applying to Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) or if you believe you have not signed the bursary consent statement, you need to contact SAAS or the SLC (Student Loans Company) to give them permission to pass on your household income information to the University.

For details, see the Oxford Bursaries and Fee Reductions webpage.

Access to Learning Fund (ALF)

  • Access to Learning Funds are provided by the government and are administered and distributed by the University.
  • Application forms are available in College from the Academic Office
  • The awards are for undergraduate or graduate students experiencing financial difficulty
  • The maximum award is £2500 and awards are paid in termly installments.

Find out more about the Access to Learning Fund, including eligibility and the application process, on the relevant Oxford University webpage.

University Hardship Fund (UHF)

  • The University Hardship Fund aims to assist students who experience unexpected financial difficulties due to circumstances which could not have been predicted at the start of their course.
  • The maximum award is £5,000. Awards of this level will usually be a combination of a grant and a loan.
  • Students in their final year will normally be given a loan as it is expected that they will be able to take on paid employment on completion of their studies.

For details of eligibility and the application process, visit the University Hardship Fund webpage.

Funding for Students with Disabilities

  • Enquiries regarding funding for students with disabilities are handled by the Disability Advisory Service.
  • Disabled Student's Allowances (DSAs) are available to all British ('home') students. DSAs are not means tested and do not need to be repaid. Details are available on the GOV.UK website.