LMH is a Registered Charity (number 1142759). This means that if you, as the donor paying Tax in the United Kingdom, and LMH as the recipient, gain extra benefits from the rules relating to the taxation of donations to the College, including single gifts, regular donations, gifts of shares and other assets, and legacies.

If you have any questions about tax-efficient giving, or if the country you are donating from is not covered by any of the giving methods below, please contact the Development Office.


Graduates throwing their hats in the air

Donations under Gift Aid

LMH can reclaim the basic-rate tax you have paid on any donation (Gift Aid), provided you pay income tax in the UK and the amount of this is at least equal to the tax that we will reclaim in any one tax year. It is simply necessary to complete a Gift Aid declaration, and you can do this by signing the Gift Aid section on all our UK donation forms. Currently, giving by Gift Aid adds an extra 25p for every £1 you give, at no extra cost to you. Higher-rate taxpayers can claim relief on the difference between basic and higher rates in their annual tax return. For more information on Gift Aid and claiming such gifts on your tax return, please visit the HMRC website.


Gifts of shares

If you make a gift of shares to the College, you can claim tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day you make the gift, together with any associated costs such as brokers' fees. The relief is against your income tax for the year. For example, if you give LMH £1,000 worth of shares and you are a higher rate taxpayer, you will pay £400 less in income tax that year. Additionally, you will not have to pay any capital gains tax (CGT) on any increase in the value of the shares since you bought them. If your shares have gone down in value, you should be aware that you will not be able to use this loss to offset any other CGT liability you may have.

The relief is available for shares and securities listed on the UK Stock Market, the Alternative Investment Market, and recognised stock exchanges overseas. It is also available for units in a UK unit trust, shares in a UK open-ended investment company (OEIC), and some similar foreign investments.

Please email our Deputy Development Director Carrie Scott if you would like further information on making a gift of shares.


Give As You Earn (GAYE)

In addition, some companies are prepared to ‘match’ the gifts by their employees under the GAYE scheme. Please check with your employer to see if it has such a scheme, and let us know if you decide to give in this way.


Americans for Oxford Inc.

If you are a resident of the USA, you can give to LMH via Americans for Oxford, Inc., the University's primary charitable organisation in North America, and has been determined by the United States Internal Revenue Service to be a tax-exempt public charity with 501(c)(3) status. To make a single or recurring donation to LMH via Americans for Oxford Inc., please contact them directly via the Americans for Oxford Inc. website.


Transnational Giving Europe (TGE)

Depending upon where you live in Europe, you may be able to give tax-effectively to LMH, using one of the agencies subscribing to TGE, a network of philanthropic institutions collaborating to foster charitable giving within Europe and covers 19 countries.  LMH is registered to accept donations from these countries. For more information and to make a tax effective gift to LMH within your country, please use this online form, or contact the relevant agency within TGE. We advise that you let us know when you have made such a gift so that we can ensure its safe receipt.

If you have any questions about giving from within Europe, please contact Sarah Jones.


Donating from Canada

Canadians can make tax-effective gifts because the University of Oxford is an educational institution that receives its charitable donation status under Section 118.1 (F) of the Income Tax Act of Canada and Regulations (Section 3503). Donations to LMH, as a constituent college of the University of Oxford, are tax deductible.

You can donate to LMH via our online giving form, bank transfer or cheque. Once we have received and processed your donation, we will issue you with a tax receipt from the University. 

If you have any questions or require the Development bank account details please contact the Development Office


Donating from Hong Kong

The University of Oxford China Office is set up as a charity in Hong Kong under Section 88 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance. If you are a taxpayer in Hong Kong, the Office will make sure that your gift gets to your designated college or university department, and will issue you with a tax receipt. 

Please visit the China Office website to give tax-efficiently via post or wire transfer.