Dr Stefan Kluzek is a medical doctor specialising in Sport and Exercise Medicine. Following medical training in the North East of England, Stefan completed his consultant and academic training in Oxford, where he also undertook a master of science degree and a DPhil, identifying metabolic and immunological consequences of joint injuries and joint osteoarthritis. He also has two years’ experience as an Academic Clinical Lecturer and Clinician scientist at the University. He works as a Consultant in the NHS as well as Senior Physician for the English Institute of Sport and the British Olympic Association. His area of clinical expertise is in the diagnosis and treatment of problems arising from the musculoskeletal system, including a common form of arthritis but also muscle, tendon and joint injuries.
He is currently an associated clinical Professor in sports medicine, where he leads research groups interested in physical activity, injuries and illnesses affecting active population. He is also leading research on consequences of the common causes of chronic muscle and joint pain, including metabolic and hormonal problems.
Tutor in clinical medicine.
- Dean BJF, Kluzek S, Carr AJ et al. Base of thumb osteoarthritis (BTOA) in UK interface services-a cohort and survey based study to assess current practice. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020 Dec PMID: 33369643
- Shur NF, Johns D, Kluzek S, et al. Physical inactivity and health inequality during coronavirus: a novel opportunity or total lockdown? BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine 2020; doi: 10.1136/bmjsem-2020-000903
- Perry T, Arden N, Yang X, Kluzek S. Quantitative and Semi-Quantitative Assessment of Synovitis on MRI and the Relationship with Symptoms in Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. Rheumatology, 2020 September DOI RHE-20-0981.R2
- Radojčić M, Arden N, Yang X, Strauss V, Birrell F, Cooper C, Kluzek S. Pain trajectory defines knee osteoarthritis subgroups: a prospective observational study. Pain. 2020 Jun 24.; PMID: 32639366
- Lyng K, Rathleff M, Dean B, Kluzek S, Holden S. Current Management Strategies in Osgood Schlatter. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2020 Jun 19; PMID: 32562293
- Dean B, Carr A, Trickett R, Kluzek S, et al. The presentation, diagnosis and management of non-traumatic wrist pain: an evaluation of current practice in secondary care in the UK NHS, Rheumatology Advances in Practice; July 2020; doi: 10.1093/rap/rkaa030
- Kluzek S, Mattei T; "Machine-learning for Osteoarthritis Research”. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, May 2019; doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2019.04.005
- Fallowfield JL, Leiper RG, Shaw AM, Kluzek S, et al. Risk of Injury in Royal Air Force Training: Does Sex Really Matter? Mil Med. 2020; doi: 10.1093/milmed/usy177
- Sanchez-Santos MT, Judge A, Gulati M, … Kluzek S, Association of metabolic syndrome with knee and hand osteoarthritis: A community-based study of women. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2018; doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2018.07.007
- Cairns G, Owen T, Kluzek S, et al. Therapeutic interventions in children and adolescents with patellar tendon related pain: a systematic review. BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2018;4(1):e000383; doi: 10.1136/bmjsem-2018-000383
- Wallace G, Cro S, Dore C, Kluzek S, et al. Associations Between Clinical Evidence of Inflammation and Synovitis in Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis: A Cross-Sectional Substudy. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2017;69(9):1340-1348. doi: 10.1002/acr.23162.
- Hughes HJJ, Kluzek S. An amateur runner with hip pain and antalgic gait. BMJ. 2016; PMID: 27143403
- Kluzek S, Bay-Jensen AC, Judge A, et al. Serum cartilage oligomeric matrix protein and development of radiographic and painful knee osteoarthritis. A community-based cohort of middle-aged women. Biomarkers. 2016:1-8.; doi: 10.3109/1354750X.2015
- Kluzek S, Arden NK, Newton J. Adipokines as potential prognostic biomarkers in patients with acute knee injury. Biomarkers. 2015:1-7.; doi: 10.1093/bmb/ldv028
- Kluzek S, Sanchez-Santos MT, Leyland KM, et al. Painful knee but not hand osteoarthritis is an independent predictor of mortality over 23 years follow-up of a population-based cohort of middle-aged women. Ann Rheum Dis. 2015; 75(10):1749-1756; doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2015-208056
- Williamson W & Kluzek S, Roberts N, et al. Behavioural physical activity interventions in participants with lower-limb osteoarthritis: a systematic review with meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2015;5(8):e007642. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-007642
- Kluzek S, Arden N, Newton J. Adipokines as potential prognostic biomarkers in patients with acute knee injury. Biomarkers. 2015:1-7. doi: 10.3109/1354750X