Thank you for supporting Green Giving Day
On 13-14 November, LMH held our first ever Green Giving Day, inviting alumni and friends to support future sustainability projects at the College. On the day, we shared videos and stories describing what the LMH community is doing to make the College a more sustainable place, and we are delighted to report that by 9pm on 14 November we had raised almost £50,000 to help us achieve our future sustainability goals. By the end of the Giving Day, 147 alumni, staff and students had made a gift, with many of the donations receiving a boost thanks to matched funding from a generous donor.
In College, staff and students celebrated Green Giving Day with a Vegan Bake Off, tours of the gardens, and a Pub Quiz with questions from LMH alumnus and former University Challenge contestant, Bobby Seagull. The LMH Boat Club also organised an erg challenge in the Monson Room, attempting to row the English Channel (target: 39,000m). The team almost made it to France and back in the end, collectively rowing an impressive 62,867m to unlock £1,500 of funding for the Giving Day.
The new Sustainability Fund will contribute to a range of exciting projects at LMH, such as:
- Setting targets and developing a roadmap to achieve net zero
- Measuring and improving the biodiversity of our gardens, including purchasing camera traps and other kit for a team of student researchers
- Creating opportunities for students to gain the practical skills and knowledge needed to make a positive difference for the climate in their career. This includes:
- Inviting alumni speakers
- Raising awareness in the JCR/MCR of College initiatives
- Providing practical opportunities to support the biodiversity of the gardens
- Further decarbonisation projects on the College site
- Creating a working group of alumni with expertise in sustainability to advise the college
The Giving Day was a brand new way of fundraising for LMH, and we are very grateful for the enthusiasm and well-wishes of our alumni, students and staff. You can watch a video explaining our recent Eleanor Lodge Decarbonisation project below, or the full Green Giving Day video at the top of the page.