Students who are on their year abroad, or who have had to suspend their course (for any reason) are encouraged to reach out if they experience difficulties while away from Oxford.

(Logo by © Niamh Simpson)

Not in Oxford logo by Niamh Simpson

College support


  • Year abroad and suspended status students are eligible to use the University Counselling Service, to which you can self-refer. The Counselling Service offers phone, Skype and face-to-face counselling sessions as you require.
  • Students who use the counselling service but will be going on a year abroad or suspending their course are advised to contact the counselling services beforehand so that a plan can be put in place to support them best in that period. The service also offers self-support resources, including podcasts, for a huge variety of issues here.




Support for British nationals abroad

  • If you experience difficulties while abroad, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office provides information for British Nationals on the website.
  • This includes information on how to stay safe abroad, what to do in an emergency, how to access medical care and much more.

Academic worries

If you are concerned about your academic work or progress during your year abroad or year of suspension please do contact your personal tutor, Reverend Andrew Foreshew-Cain, Acting Head of Welfare, or a member of the LMH Welfare Team.

Disability service

  • If you have a disability, chronic illness or mental health issue and would like support on your return to Oxford, do register with the Disability Advisory Service.
  • Do register as soon as possible, before you come or return to College, so that provisions can be made in time for your arrival.
  • Find out more about support for enabling students here.