Currently, I’m working as a PDRA in a joint collaboration between the Hore, Mackenzie, and Timmel groups in the Department of Physical and Theoretical Chemistry. I completed my PhD with Prof. Malcolm Forbes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2014, with a focus on using transient and steady state electron paramagnetic resonance techniques to study the effects of nanoscale confinement on radical pair chemistry. My undergraduate work was done at Carleton College in Northfield, MN.
My general research interests are radical pair chemistry, photochemistry, optical spectroscopy, and magnetic resonance.
My current research project is at the intersection of physical chemistry, biochemistry, and spectroscopy. In order to try to identify and understand the chemical basis for magneto-sensitivity in animals, we investigate de novo proteins designed to produce magnetically sensitive radicals through photo-induced electron transfer, with the aim of modelling the fundamental physical behaviour observed in naturally occurring proteins. This work also includes developing new cavity enhanced absorption spectroscopies for studying photochemistry in condensed phase, biological samples.
- Bialas, C.; Jarocha, L. E.; Henbest, K. B.; Zollitsch, T. M.; Kodali, G.; Timmel, C. R.; Mackenzie, S. R.; Dutton,P. L.; Moser, C. C.; Hore, P. J., Engineering an Artificial Flavoprotein Magnetosensor. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138(51), 16584-16587.
- Zigler, D.F.; Ding, E.C.; Jarocha, L.E.; Khatmullin, R.R; DiPasquale, V.; Sykes, R.B.; Tarasov, V.F.;
- Forbes, M.D.E. Kinetic Analysis of Nitroxide Radical Formation Under Oxygenated Photolysis: Toward Quantitative Singlet Oxygen Topology. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2014, 13(12), 1804-1811.
- Tarasov, V. F.; Jarocha, L. E.; Avdievich, N. I.; Forbes, M. D. E., TREPR spectra of micelle confined spin correlated radical pairs: I. Molecular motion and simulations. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2014, 13 (2), 439-453.
- Tarasov, V. F.; Jarocha, L. E.; Forbes, M. D. E., TREPR spectra of micelle-confined spin correlated radical pairs: II. Spectral decomposition and asymmetric line shapes. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci. 2014, 13 (2), 454-463.
- Forbes, M. D. E.; Jarocha, L. E.; Sim, S.; Tarasov, V. F., Time-Resolved Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: History, Technique, and Application to Supramolecular and Macromolecular Chemistry. In Adv. Phys. Org. Chem., Williams, I. H.; Williams, N. H., Eds. 2013; Vol. 47, pp 1-83.
- Caregnato, P.; Jarocha, L. E.; Esinhart, H. S.; Lebedeva, N. V.; Tarasov, V. F.; Forbes, M. D. E., Electrostatic Control of Spin Exchange Between Mobile Spin-Correlated Radical Pairs Created in Micellar Solutions. Langmuir 2011, 27 (9), 5304-5309.