I read Spanish and Portuguese at Wadham College, Oxford, and spent a formative year abroad in Barcelona pursuing research under the supervision of Prof Rosa Navarro Durán. Following a Clarendon-funded MSt, also at Oxford (Jesus College), I moved to London to begin doctoral work at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama, University of London. My thesis, Travelling Players, Travelling Civil Wars: Spain and Yugoslavia on the Transnational Stage, forms part of the AHRC-project Staging Difficult Pasts and is supervised by Prof Maria Delgado. Prior to joining LMH, I was Stipendiary Lecturer at Merton College.
Golden Age and Contemporary Spanish theatre; the 20th century Spanish novel; the entremés and its modern iterations (teatro breve); travel narratives and multidirectional memory.
I currently teach or have taught:
Prelims III: Introduction to literary texts (Cervantes, Calderón, Machado, Vargas Llosa)
FHS Paper VII: Golden Age Period of Literature (1543 — 1695)
FHS Paper VIII: Modern Spanish Literature (1811— present)
FHS Paper XI: Modern Prescribed Authors
Prelims/FHS Papers I and II: Translation into Spanish and English
At Central, I have supervised undergraduate dissertations and MA projects on various aspects of performance, including on the representation of women in contemporary Spanish theatre and the use of psychoanalysis in actor training.
- ‘From Golden Age to Civil War: Stages of Spain in Yugoslavia,’ in The Unsafe Stage: Daring Adaptations, Creative Failures and Experimental Performances in Iberian and Transnational Contexts, ed. by Maria del Pilar Chouza-Calo, Esther Fernández and Jonathan Thacker (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2023), in press.
- Review of Jovanovic, Zeljko. ‘Twentieth-Century Sephardic Authors from the Former Yugoslavia’, in Modern Language Review, 118 (2023), forthcoming.
Editorials and Translations:
- Pablo Messiez, The Eyes, trans. by Alma Prelec and Maria Bastianes (Cambridge: MHRA New Translations), forthcoming.
- ‘Introduction: On Forgetting’, in MHRA Working Papers in the Humanities 17 (2023), ed. by Alma Prelec and Emily di Dodo, forthcoming.
- ‘Introduction: Desire’, in MHRA Working Papers in the Humanities 16 (2022), ed. by Hayley O’Kell and Alma Prelec.