Main purpose of job
The IT Officer will primarily be responsible for delivering 1st line support to all College users and guests, for all local and University provided services. The post holder will also aid the local department manager with a broad range of tasks including taking part in College/group projects and maintenance of ICT infrastructure.
- Assist the ICT Manager as required to maintain, develop, support and document all of the College’s ICT infrastructure and equipment, including security and related issues.
- Provide cover for the ICT Manager during his/her absence, as agreed from time to time.
- Support all valid users, including equipment procurement, maintenance, repair, training and advice.
- Maintenance, updating, support and development of College ICT infrastructure, including related documentation.
- Update system databases from time to time as requested.
Front line support
- Provide support to students in connecting their personal equipment to the College/University network.
- Provide support to academics in connecting personal and department-provided equipment to the College/University network.
- Provide first line support to students and academics in using University IT facilities.
- Provide support to associated College Centres according to service level descriptions.
- Respond to security and copyright issues arising from use of the network; help with remediation of supported user devices.
- Provide full desktop support and management for users with managed devices.
- Provide support to conference guests as agreed with the ICT Manager.
- Deploy and manage desktop computers, operating systems and applications.
- Deploy VoIP phones for users as directed by the ICT Manager.
- Arrange for the sale and collection of old equipment.
- Work under the guidance of the ICT Manager on local and cross-College projects, using an ever-improving set of specialist skills.
- Engage in relevant training and self-improvement, developing specialist skills and knowledge.
- Provide support to other Colleges within the group as directed by the ICT Manager.
- Provide AV support for facilities within the College as deemed necessary by the ICT Manager.
- Since this is an appointment within a field characterised by continual change, the duties will require ongoing review and adaptation.
- Other duties as directed by the ICT Manager or Head of ICT.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Client operating systems (particularly Windows) and programs, Microsoft Office & email clients such as Microsoft Outlook.
- A record of working with Windows Active Directory, File and Print knowledge, DHCP & DNS.
- A basic working knowledge of Virtualisation technologies such as VMware vSphere.
- Thorough understanding of PC hardware.
- Some knowledge of modern network infrastructure devices and topology including managed switches and firewall configuration.
- Audio-visual experience - data projectors and PA
- Ability to identify and meet the needs of both internal and external customers in order to deliver a high-quality service.
- Ability to explain technical issues in an accessible way to non-technical College members.
- Ability to communicate effectively with College members at all levels of seniority.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) enabling work with colleagues as a team on a consistent, long-term basis.
- Strong team-player, understanding how different skills and roles in a team work together to maximise productivity.
- Ability to communicate with senior stakeholders in the College.
- Ability to analyse technical and non-technical issues, make informed judgements, take appropriate actions, and share responsibility for results.
- A positive and helpful attitude towards work and colleagues.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Desire to provide excellent ICT services to support a world-class learning and research.
- Ability to adapt successfully to changing circumstances and technology, identify fresh approaches and question traditional approaches and assumptions.
- Be prepared to work unusual hours on occasions in cases of operational necessity.
- Undertake other duties as required by the ICT Manager or Head of ICT.
- Working knowledge of Ghost Solution Suite (previously known as Altiris Deployment Solution) or similar desktop management environment.
- A working knowledge of Windows Active Directory, File and Print knowledge, DHCP & DNS.
- Experience of administration and design using Microsoft SQL Server.
- Experience of installing and managing at least one flavour of Linux.
- Experience in at least one modern programming language such as C#, VB.NET or PowerShell.
- A qualification in Microsoft Client operating systems.
- Experience of the Oxford collegiate system.