This is the schedule for your Graduation Day, when the LMH Development Office welcomes Graduands and their guests to LMH and supports them on this very special event.
Please note that you are responsible for arranging your own graduation gown. If you need to hire a gown, please contact Shepherd and Woodward of the High Street, Oxford, on 01865 249491, or hire online at: http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/academic-gowns-hire. You can arrange to collect your gown from their shop for free, or have it delivered to LMH for an additional charge.
The graduation ceremony takes place in the Sheldonian Theatre, and lasts for roughly one and a half hours. Please read the following schedule for the day carefully, as punctuality is essential! Also please pay special attention to the NB: sections.
NB: If you or any of your guests have special mobility requirements please inform the Development Office so that arrangements can be made for access to the Sheldonian Theatre.
SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY
From 10:45 to 11:30: Registration, in the Paul Oster Room (Clore Graduate Centre building)
- All Graduands must register by signing the Dean of Degrees’ List. NB: Your degree cannot be conferred unless the Dean of Degrees’ register is signed.
- During registration Graduands will collect guest ceremony tickets. Graduands do not need a ticket for the ceremony.
- Graduands may collect their Gown and Hood if they've arranged this to be delivered to LMH through Shepherd and Woodward.
- Tea and coffee will be available in the Monson Room.
- Photographers will be in attendance.
From 11:45 to 12:15: Drinks Reception & Pre-Ceremony Address, in the Pipe Partridge building
- All Graduands must attend.
- The Principal will welcome Graduands and their families to LMH.
- The Dean of Degrees, Dr Grant Tapsell, will describe the procedure and formalities for the degree ceremony.
- The Drinks Reception will be in the Monson room.
- The Pre-Ceremony Address will be in the Simpkins Lee theatre.
From 12:15 to 13:30: Lunch in the Jerwood Room
- For Graduands and guests who have booked and prepaid for lunch, a two course buffet lunch will be served (link to the booking page can be found below)
14:00 prompt: Preparation for Official Presentation, in the Convocation House*
- Graduands and guests make their own way to the Convocation House. Guests will be admitted to the Sheldonian Theatre from 14:00.
- Graduands prepare for the Presentation
NB: If you are not present at the Sheldonian at 14:00 prompt, dressed in the correct subfusc, you will not be permitted into the ceremony.
*The Convocation House is situated behind the Sheldonian Theatre on the Bodleian side and slightly to the right. It is accessed via the Divinity School which is opposite the main door of the Sheldonian (also known as the South doors) through which the Graduands process at the start of the ceremony. Guests queue for entrance to the Sheldonian at the East and West Doors.
14:30: The Official Presentation, in the Sheldonian Theatre
- The Dean of Degrees confirms to the Proctors that all Graduands are present then leads them into the Sheldonian Theatre through the South Doors for the start of the ceremony at 14:30.
- Graduands are asked to return their hired gown & hoods, giving their name and College to Shepherd and Woodward, 109-113 High Street, on the day by 17:30.
ACADEMIC DRESS – IMPORTANT!
All Graduands must wear subfusc and bring their own mortar board. NB: Incorrect subfusc may result in Graduands being barred from the ceremony.
- Subfusc for women: dark skirt or trousers; black tights; black closed-toe shoes; white blouse; black ribbon; mortarboard or soft cap.
- Subfusc for men: dark suit (grey, brown or black); dark socks; black shoes; white bow tie; plain white shirt and collar; mortarboard.
All Graduands are required to start the ceremony wearing the gown and hood of their previous Oxford degree, or their BA, Undergraduate Masters or Advanced Students gown. They then change into the gown of the degree they are receiving at the appropriate time in the ceremony.
Some useful links
Please take the time to visit the pages below as it will mean you have fewer questions approaching the big day!
- To find out more about Graduations, click here to go to the Graduation Information section of our website
- To read our FAQs, which include important information about academic dress, click here.
- To visit the central University's own Graduation and Leaving Oxford website, click here. There's a huge amount of relevant information there.
- You can watch any of the Sheldonian Ceremonies from anywhere in the world via live stream, during and immediately after the event. Click here to visit the Oxford University Events website.