Telephone number: +44 7565216855
Junior Research Associate of International Gender Studies centre (IGS), Lady Margaret Hall
DPhil candidate in Oriental Studies, University of Oxford
President, British Postgraduate Network for Chinese Studies (BPCS) (2017-2018)
Ling Tang joined the University of Oxford in 2016 as a DPhil student in Oriental Studies (Contemporary Chinese Studies), after finishing her BA and MPhil degrees in Sociology at Hong Kong Baptist University.
She is in general interested in the gendered and sexualised dynamics in organisations and businesses in China. While her MPhil thesis targets the white-collar women workers in Shenzhen, her DPhil research focuses on the female-led E-commerce entrepreneurs.
Ling's MPhil thesis studies the gendered and sexualized guanxi, and critically brings into the discussion the concept of erotic capital. In particular, the thesis explains the ways women navigate the male-centred guanxi practice in organisations.
Based on a one-year ethnography in Shenzhen and Hefei, her DPhil thesis aims to: 1) provide a gender reading of E-commerce in China, 2) disclose the heterogeneity of the business guanxi and intimate guanxi of Chinese female entrepreneurs in the digital age; 3) discuss the development of “new China” within the digital age.
Her DPhil is partially funded by Wai Seng Senior Research Scholarship at St Antony's College, IJURR Studentship and St Catherine's College.
The Internet; E-commerce; Erotic Capital; Guanxi; Intimate Labour; Gender and Sexuality in China; Gig economy
- The Afterglow of Women’s Pornography in Post-Digital China by Katrien Jacobs. Palgrave Macmillan. Screen Bodies, 2017(2), 94-96.
- Routledge handbook of Sexuality Studies in East Asia edited by Mark McLelland & Vera Mackie. Abingdon: Routledge. WAGnet (Women and Gender in Chinese Studies Network), 2017.
- (forthcoming) Gender, Sexuality and Power in Chinese Companies by Jieyu Liu. Palgrave Macmillan. International Sociology Review
- Contextualizing Chinese #Metoo, The Online Journal of China Policy Institute, 2018(Feb).
- Chinese Vagina Monologues and beyond, The Online Journal of China Policy Institute, 2018 (Apr.)