Telephone number: (+)44 (0)1865436536
Role: Research Associate IGS at LMH
Angela Raven Roberts’ career spans 30 years of work with NGOs, United Nations and academia in the Humanitarian sector. She has also served as the first Director of Academic Programmes for the Feinstein International Centre at Tufts University At Tufts, she oversaw the design of one of the first Master’s of Arts in Humanitarian Assistance (MAHA) degree in the USA, developed specialist courses on gender, culture and humanitarian assistance and spearheaded several successful humanitarian initiatives with MIT, Harvard and other universities. She rejoined UNICEF in Geneva in 2004 as Regional Chief of Emergencies for Central and Eastern Europe and Commonwealth of Independent States. Between 2010 and 2012 she was Executive Director for the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership in Geneva.
Dr Raven-Roberts holds a PhD in Anthropology from the University of Minnesota, a Master’s degree in Social Anthropology from Oxford University, and a Bachelor’s degree in African History and Social Anthropology from London University School of Oriental and African Studies.
She is currently an independent researcher specializing in gender, youth, and livelihoods in emergencies; post crisis recovery issues, pastoral livelihoods in change, and the role of national civil services in disaster preparedness.
She is currently working on a book " Taking on the Mantle: Gender, Governance and Indigenous leadership in the Afar Lowlands of Ethiopia"
Gender and governance, Youth and childhood in emergencies; Education and post crisis recovery; Pastoralist livelihoods in change; Community based risk reduction systems; Role of national civil services in disaster preparedness and post crisis recovery.
- 2016 “Globalizing the Local: Supporting Local Institutions” In: The UN at 70 and the UK. IDS Bulletin Vol.47. Number 3. IDS University of Sussex. UK.
- 2013 “Women and the Political Economy of War” chapter in Women and Wars. Edited. L.Soljberg, C.Cohn London Polity Press.
- 2009 "Violence and Complex Humanitarian Emergencies: Implications for livelihoods models," Sue Lautze and Angela Raven-Roberts. Disasters: The journal of disaster studies, policy and management. Volume 30, Number 4, pages 383-401.
- 2004 “Gender Mainstreaming in United Nations Peace Support Operations, Talking the Talk and Tripping Over the Walk” in Gender, Complex Emergencies and Peacekeeping: National and International Perspectives. Editors, Dyan Mazurana, Angela Raven-Roberts, and Jane Parpart. Rowman & Littlefield. Oxford.
- 2004 "Humanitarian Governance. Assistance, Protection and Global Governance Networks in Complex Emergencies" Sue Lautze, Jennifer Leaning, Angela Raven-Roberts, Randolph Kent and Dyan Mazurana, The Lancet, Volume 364, Issue 9451, pages 2134 - 2141, December 11, 2004.