The Fritillary was the termly magazine of the Oxford women’s colleges, the successor to The Daisy of LMH, running from 1894 all the way through to 1931. The format and style changed on several occasions, but most issues included news on current events in Oxford (and sometimes Cambridge); articles, sketches and poetry made by students and alumni; details of debates held by the women’s debating society; and reports from the colleges. Issue no. 7, March 1896, opened with this scathing attack on Congregation’s decision not to grant B.A. degrees to women, even if they fulfilled all the same residency and examination criteria as men.
In 1920 women were finally allowed to matriculate and graduate from Oxford. As such this article from June 1925 was able to take a much more light-hearted approach to the subject, looking at the issue of what a fashionable student should wear to her exams.